ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall is a decent antivirus program which mixes a solid firewall with an admirable antivirus/anti-spyware engine. All that at no cost, means this antivirus is definitely a good replacement for paid software from companies like McAfee and Norton. ZoneAlarm comes with a resident or on-access protection feature, which continually monitors the system for any suspicious behavior. Threats like viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, worms and bots can be found and removed easily. It even starts scanning the memory of your PC as well as the boot sectors for viruses, before the setup even finishes installing the program.
- ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall brings the option for real-time protection from threats including but not limited to viruses, spyware, and Trojan horses.
- There is an additional browser toolbar, which lets you block companies from collecting your personal data.
- You can enable custom firewall alerts for a variety of different types of intrusion by malicious parties.
- Uses a cloud-based response technique, which can rapidly identify unsafe programs.
- There is a built-in firewall to hold back intrusion attempts.
- Updates for the program and virus definitions are automatic.
- Scans can be scheduled.
- Offers a toolbar to ensure web security and privacy.
- Is supported on most versions of Windows.
- Intensively uses system memory.
- The interface could have been simpler in the way it displays options.
- Installation time is too long.
- This software automatically makes browser changes, and may sneak in a toolbar, which you will have to manually deselect from the Custom Install option during setup.
The built in firewall from ZoneAlarm is free to install, and easy to set up and monitor. The software comes with advanced features such as the option to lock host files from editing, and raising shields instantly after logging into Windows. The latter ensures that the firewall blocks threats even before they load, which is a good way to keep the system safe from threats.
Considered overall, the program has pretty decent and advanced features which you normally only get to see in paid products such as antiviruses from McAfee and Norton. Again, it is a very good replacement for those, managing to hold its own as a sole resident antivirus on your system. You will just need to overlook the complicated interface and the long installation time.